| Project Archive
Mailing List Signup
In its fourth year, the Phenomenal Physics program continues to have a positive influence on the science education of area students! The emphasis of the program has also endured: To teach students about everyday physics and provide an opportunity for students to learn more about why familiar things behave the way they do.
In 2013, the Phenomenal Physics program featured science-centered articles and original ideas for science projects. Ideas ranged from simple projects students could complete at home to more extensive projects intended for the classroom. The program culminated with an all-area science and physics fair on April 19th that drew over 200 participants. Thirty-seven students received the award of an expenses-paid trip to Physics Day at Lagoon on May 17th, where they learned more about physics in a fun way and competed for great prizes.
At Physics Day, students from Idaho Falls took 2nd and 3rd place in the Physics Demo competition:
Daniel Davis and Dirk Hall, 2nd Place, Idaho Falls High School
Sesily Stewart, 3rd Place, Compass Academy
Our students also took 3rd place and honorable mention for the Logo Design:
Naomi Hilton, 3rd Place, Taylorview Junior High
Lauren Perttula, Honorable Mention, Idaho Falls High School
A special note of appreciation goes out to all the teachers we have worked with throughout the year. Without these individuals, we would not have had the privilege of working with and motivating so many students.
- Kari Christensen – Fox Hollow Elementary School
- Sandra Dunn – Compass Academy
- Arik Durfee – Compass Academy
- Mitzi Ellingson – Idaho Falls High School
- Matt Houser – Idaho Falls High School
- Brooke Moretz – Woodland Hills Elementary School
- Carol Smith – Skyline High School
- Joe Timchak – Compass Academy
- Mary Towler – Compass Academy
- Darin Wetzel – Westside Elementary School
A special thank you also goes out to all of our sponsors and affiliated organizations; their support has made what we do possible!
- The Elks Lodge of Idaho Falls, B.P.O.E. #1087
- Idaho Falls School District 91
- Idaho Falls School District 91 Education Foundation
- Idaho State University
- Genesis Printworks
- Great Harvest Bread Company
- The Hartwell Corporation
- Idaho Department of Environmental Quality
- Idaho Meth Project
- Idaho National Laboratory
- Jimmy’s All Season Angler
- Museum of Idaho
- Northgate Appliance
- Papa Tom’s Pizza
- Portage, Inc.
- Pro Rentals
- Teton Stage Lines
- U.S. Air Force
- U.S. Marine Corps
- The University of Idaho
- Utah State University
- Wally’s Automotive
- All other private sponsors
Phenomenal Physics Contributors
- Michel Hall
- Walter Hinds
- James R. Jackson
- Jim Jackson
- Kerry Martin
- Sunny Katseanas
- Ann Reidesel
- Mike Towler
- Michelle Tremelling
- Gaylene Verdoorn
- All the unnamed contributors who gave their precious time to us throughout the year at our various events.
Special recognition goes to Shelly Coates, Jim Nelson, Carly Reyes, and Todd Thompson for helping us read well all year long! In addition, thank you to everyone who participated at any time during the year. It is our hope that we were able to enrich the educational experiences of the teachers and students we serve. We look forward to next year, and all the exciting opportunities to come! Stay tuned!!
As a reminder, or for those new to our program, Phenomenal Physics is a program intended to enhance the education and interest of middle and high school students in science. Our goal is to build relationships and continue to expand the program to offer scholarships to students and grants for the purchase of lab supplies and equipment for use in local schools. While the program is heavily rooted in science education, it is free and available to everyone interested in solving everyday problems.